Insurance Claims

If you have incurred a loss or damages for which you believe the City of Cambridge may be responsible, you must follow the process outlined below in order to have the City consider your claim.

Any damage to your property can be upsetting and disruptive. It is important to note that the City of Cambridge is not your insurer.  We strongly urge that in cases of injury or damage, you contact your insurance company or broker first, for advice on how to deal with your loss. Your insurance coverage may be more extensive than what you can recover from the City. If the insurer believes the City is responsible, they may seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy.

Payment with respect to property damage or bodily injury is contingent upon the city being found legally liable for the incident. We recommend that you inform the City as soon as possible and, in some cases, you are required to place the City on notice within ten days of the accident.

Claim Process

To report a claim online or by mail please follow the instructions under Submit a Claim below.

Once your claim is submitted online, you will receive an email acknowledging your successful submission. Your claim will then be forwarded to the Waterloo Region Municipal Insurance Pool (WRMIP) where all claims are investigated by insurance professionals.

You will be advised of the outcome of the investigation when all relevant facts are determined. WRMIP can be reached at 519-741-2961 if you have any questions.

Please keep in mind that the time to investigate your claim is dependent on how complex your claim is.

Establishing Negligence Against the City

The City has an obligation to maintain its infrastructure and must exercise a reasonable standard of care. City divisions regularly meet or exceed standard service levels and may only be found negligent if it fails to meet the appropriate standard of care, and that failure results in damage or injury to the public.

We do not provide compensation for your costs unless you provide evidence that the City committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage. Any compensation paid to you will be based on proof of damage that has arisen as a result of the City’s negligence.

Like most Canadian municipalities, we only compensate when we are legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach helps to reduce financial burden for taxpayers, who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.

This claims process does not mean that the City of Cambridge is accepting liability for your claim, nor does it waive any legal rights that the City of Cambridge may be able to rely on.

Fraudulent claims cost taxpayers. We will prosecute all fraudulent claims to the full extent of the law.

 Submit a Claim
Under the Municipal Act, to initiate a claim against the City you have to submit the claim in writing, addressed to The Clerk, City of Cambridge.

You are required to include the following:

  • Your name, address, and email address
  • Date and location of the accident which caused the property damage or injury
  • A brief description of how the accident happened
  • A description of your property damage or injury

You may submit your claim in person or by mail to the following address:


Corporation of the City of Cambridge

Attention: City Clerk
50 Dickson Street
Cambridge, Ontario, N1R 5W8

Alternatively, you may submit your claim online: Submit Claim Online

If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact Risk Management at

Document and Protect Against Further Damage
We recommend that you document all damages. This includes:
  • Making a list of all damaged items and property
  • Recording the date, time and location the damage took place
  • Taking photographs of the damage
  • Ensure to protect your property from incurring further damage
 Claiming Through my Insurance Company vs the City of Cambridge
Making a claim through your insurance company means that you are taking advantage of your insurance coverage for your personal assets according to your insurance policy. Your insurance coverage is generally more extensive than what you may recover from the City through a third-party liability claim. Often your insurance company will pay for your loss up front, regardless of who is responsible for your damage. This may, however result in higher premiums in the future.


Making a claim against the City of Cambridge is a third-party liability claim, which means you believe the City has been negligent in its maintenance of facilities, roads, trees and sewers, causing bodily injury and/or damage to your property, and you are seeking compensation.


Here is what you should know about making a claim against the City of Cambridge:

  • Third party liability claims will take more time as an investigation will be conducted by the City’s adjusters to determine if the City was negligent, causing damage
  • Payment from the City is not guaranteed
  • If the City is found to be negligent, the amount that you would receive in compensation is limited to its current value, not its replacement value
 Damages Due to Road Conditions

The City maintains its roadways in accordance with provincial guidelines. Hazards that are identified are repaired as quickly and efficiently as possible in accordance with those guidelines. Potholes, for example, are not as unusual hazard and motorists are expected to use caution and appropriate defensive driving skills when operating their vehicles. If you damage your vehicle from a pothole, you should contact your insurance provider.

 Collision Involving a City Vehicle
You must report the accident to your own insurer. Regardless of fault, in accordance with the Direct Compensation Rules of the Insurance Act, all physical damage must be reported to and paid by your own automobile insurer.
 Fallen Trees and Branch Damages
When making a claim against the City for property damage related to City trees, there are several factors that are considered in determining the City’s responsibility. Some of these factors include:
  • Whether there was any visible evidence of decay prior to the incident
  • Whether the City was put on notice or was aware of the condition of the tree prior to the incident
  • If the City was aware of the condition of the tree, whether the City’s inspection and maintenance activities were reasonable

The mere fact that a City tree caused damage does not warrant automatic compensation from the City. An investigation will look into the history of the tree to consider all factors. If the tree/limb failure occurred as a result of a storm event, then the City will not be responsible for your property damage.

 Flood Claims
Watermain breaks or sewer backups can be attributed to causes other than the City’s failure to properly install or maintain its infrastructure. The weather, for example, can have a significant impact. The pressures created by the freeze/thaw cycles during the winter can also place a significant amount of strain on watermains. These pressures often result in leaks and ruptures. Severe weather systems that pass through the City can also strain the sewer system. Significant rainfall over a short period of time can result in the City’s storm and combined sewers taking in more water than they are designed to accommodate, resulting in sewer backups.


The City can only be held responsible for damage to private property caused by water escaping from its infrastructure if you are able to establish that damage was caused by the City’s negligence.

 If Your Claim is Denied
The City’s adjuster will outline the results of their investigation in a letter.


If you still wish to pursue your claim after being denied compensation, your next option is to proceed with legal action.

 Contact Us
Risk Management

Phone 519-623-1340 ext. 4729