We will be ramping up our recreation and culture programming every fall and need passionate people to join our team and help us make it happen.

Begin your career at the City of Cambridge in a role where you can share your talents directly with your community.

Review all current job postings

Gain new skills before applying

Get qualified by signing up for courses for Lifeguard & Swim Leadership today.  

Start your path to becoming a Lifeguard or Swim Instructor

The City of Cambridge Leadership Path breaks down the courses and training needed to become a lifesaver. The program is offered to those at least 13 years old, through the Lifesaving Society at our pool facilities. 

Frequently asked questions
How do I apply?

You must apply online during the application period. Applications are accepted online only.

  1. Create the candidate profile, and attach resume and cover letter.  Your profile needs to have the following information: your name, home address, personal e-mail address, and contact phone number.
  2. If applying for aquatic positions, please ensure to attach copies of qualifications.
  3. Complete the application form. (Ensure to click on apply to posting).
  4. Submit the application.
  5. You will receive an e-mail notification if your application is successfully submitted. (You might need to check your junk e-mail folder).
When will I have an interview?

We only contact those selected for an interview. The City does not guarantee employment for any applicant or returning staff, however, returning staff may fill some positions.

We offer invitations to interviews by email. This invitation provides you with more information about the interview.

If you are selected for an interview, you will receive an email with dates and times. Log into you candidate profile to reserve your interview time.

What if I need accommodation?

The City of Cambridge is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion.  We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals, and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the recruitment and hiring process. 

Please contact Human Resources to make your needs known in advance, with the nature of any accommodations that you may require in respect to any materials or processes used to ensure your full and equal participation throughout the recruitment and hiring process.

Do I need training?

Employees must complete the  Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps training program. The program helps workers get familiar with health and safety in the workplace, including the rights and responsibilities of workers. Employees must provide a certificate of completion for this training program before their first day on the job.

If you are hired for a Head Instructor Guard position, you must complete the Supervisor Health and Safety Awareness in 5 steps training program. This program provides information on your health and safety role as a supervisor. You must provide your certificate of completion before your first day on the job. 

Am I required to attend in person training?

Yes. Training orientation dates will be communicated to you and are mandatory. We also provide all employees with job specific training.

Do I need a High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development certification?

You require a High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development Certification for any Aquatics positions.

To find out more information about High Five and to register for a training near you:


Where can I get First Aid, CPR & AED certifications?

Register for First Aid, CPR, and AED certification training courses here!

How do I get a Police Record Check?

Police checks for new and returning staff must be current (within 6 months of the employment start date). At your expense, Human Resources must receive your Police Record Check before you can start your job.

The job posting and your letter of offer will indicate what type of check is required, such as:

  • Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
  • Police Vulnerable Sector Check

As a resident of the Waterloo Region, you can apply for a Police Record Check through the Waterloo Regional Police Service. Call (519) 650-8500 ext. 5900 for more information.

If you don't live within the Region of Waterloo, please go to the police service in your municipality of your permanent residence.

How will my personal information be used?
We collect personal information related to the recruitment and hiring process under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The City uses this information to determine eligibility for employment at the City of Cambridge only. If you have any questions about this collection of personal information, you can contact the Freedom of Information and Privacy Coordinator, Clerks Division, at (519) 740-4680 ext. 4583.