The City is accepting appointment requests to submit marriage licence applications effective Wednesday, June 16, 2021. Please use the online booking calendar below. 

To get married in Ontario, you must complete a marriage licence application. Both individuals applying for a marriage licence must sign the application form. Two pieces of approved original identification must be provided for both parties.

When appointments become available again, please view the online booking calendar for available times to request an appointment and to submit documentation which is required in advance.

Please note if the information provided is incorrect, or any documents are missing your appointment time will not proceed. We will notify you of this and you will need to resubmit your application to be reviewed.  Please note that the date of the wedding must be included on the application.

Following confirmation of an appointment time and confirmation that all required documentation has been received, the original documentation must be submitted in person to City of Cambridge Clerk's Office at the scheduled appointment time. If there are errors or omissions at the time of your appointment, applicants will be responsible for scheduling a further appointment based upon availability in the online calendar :

50 Dickson Street, First Floor
Cambridge, ON N1R 5W8

What type of identification do I need to apply?

Both parties must have two pieces of proper identification* when applying for a marriage licence. Both pieces of identification must include your birthdate, and at least one must include photo identification.

Acceptable forms of identification include:

  • Birth Certificates
  • Valid Ontario Driver's Licence
  • Change of Name Certificates
  • Records of Immigrant Landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Cards
  • Valid Passports

All forms of identification must be in English or have a certified translation. 

*Please note that Ontario Health Cards and Social Insurance Number (SIN) Cards are not acceptable forms of identification to apply for a marriage licence. 

How much does a marriage licence cost?
A marriage licence issued by the City of Cambridge costs $165. We accept payments by cash, VISA, MasterCard or debit.
What if a minor wants to apply for a marriage licence?
In Ontario, no person under the age of 16 can be married without the consent of their parent(s) or guardian(s). A marriage licence applicant who is 16 or 17 years old must include the appropriate form with their parent(s) or guardian(s) written consent with their application. This form is available in person at the Clerks' Office.
What if I've previously been married?

If either applicant's previous marriage ended in divorce, they must submit the original copy or a certified true copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce when applying for a marriage licence. We do not accept photocopies, a Divorce Judgement or Decree Nisi.

Divorce outside of Canada

If either party's previous marriage ended in Divorce outside of Canada, you must get authorization from the Registrar General before applying for a marriage licence in Ontario. The marriage licence applicant's legal representation can get this authorization by sending the necessary documents to the Office of the Registrar General at:

189 Red River Road
P.O. Box 4600
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8

Required documents include:

  • A completed marriage application form, signed by both applicants
  • A certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce or Annulment from the jurisdiction where the divorce was granted sealed by the court (you must include a certified translation, if the divorce documents are in another language)
  • A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorcee, signed by both applicants, for divorces that took place outside of Canada
  • A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the Province of Ontario should recognize the divorce or annulment
What is a publication of banns?
A marriage may be solemnized under the authority of the publication of banns where both parties to the proposed marriage worship regularly at their own church in Canada.

Please contact a member of the clergy for more information about the publication of banns.