A Commissioner is a person authorized by the Province of Ontario to take oaths or declarations when you sign an affidavit or statutory declaration. The City Clerk or designate are, by virtue of office, commissioners for taking affidavits. This authority is conferred by the Commissioners for taking Affidavits Act, 1990. 

Please note that the City of Cambridge does not have a Notary Public on staff. For additional information regarding Commissioner of Oaths services in Ontario and how to access these services, please see visit the Province of Ontario's website


Signature by Commissioner of Oaths  - $36.16 (plus HST)


Verified documents containing sworn statements are known as affidavits. The City of Cambridge can prepare and/or sign affidavits. All parties required to sign the document must be present and provide valid photo identification in order to have a document commissioned. 

Commissioning process

Contact the Clerk's Office to make an appointment in order to:

  • Ensure that there is a Commissioner of Oaths available
  • Get assistance in determining if the Commissioner is authorized to sign your document(s)
  • Confirm the applicable fee associated with your document(s)

Please note: the Clerk or designate reviews the document to determine if it meets our specifications. We reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.

Please note: Commissioning of documents will only be performed in person at City Hall; the City of Cambridge does not offer online services for commissioning of documents.

 Documents the City can commission
  • City of Cambridge generated documents;
  • Domestic and Foreign Pension documents (Proof of Life);
  • Statutory Declaration of Apprenticeship hours;
  • Canadian Citizenship forms;
  • Delayed Statement of Birth;
  • Adult Name Change document;
  • Child Name Change document;
  • Affidavit of a lost cheque;
  • Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification (must include police report number);
  • Sworn Statement for the Transfer of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario;
  • Statutory Declaration for OSAP - Statement of Common Law Status/Supporting Children;
  • Travel affidavit;
  • Statutory Declaration of Theft of a GST/HST or Federal cheque;
  • Affidavit of unregistered vehicle;
  • Statutory Declaration for Motor Vehicle Deals Compensation Fund;
  • Immunization Health form;
  • Cohabitation (living in a common law relationship);
  • Confirm identity. 
 Documents the City cannot commission
  • Wills, Living Wills, Codicils to Wills or Estate Settlement document;
  • Power of Attorney;
  • Divorce or separation documents;
  • Custody documents;
  • Documents related to debt;
  • Real estate related documents;
  • Court, legal or civil issue related documents;
  • Declaration or Claimant and Indemnity;
  • Declaration of Replacement of Shares;
  • Statutory Declaration of Progress Payment Holdback Security Deposits;
  • Statement of Arrears;
  • Certified true copies;
  • Tender documents;
  • Declaration of a Translator;
  • Age of Majority or BYID Card applications;
  • Documents that require to be notarized.