The City of Cambridge draws about 80% its water consumption from groundwater. The remaining 20% comes from the Grand River, pumped into the Manheim aquifer and mixed with groundwater before distribution.

The City relies on 27 water supply wells up to 60 metres (200 feet) deep. The highest producing wells are in the heart of the City, supplying almost half of the water used by residents and businesses in the community. Many of these wells date back to the 1900s with the first wells being drilled in 1891.

Learn more about water quality in Cambridge, including information about watersheds and wastewater.

Protecting local water resources

Protecting our local water resources is a collaborative effort between:

Subwatershed studies inform city planning and conversation efforts in order to protect our water and environmental resources. Source Water Protection Planning protects our drinking water resources.

How can I help?

As a resident, there are some things you can do each day to help protect and conserve groundwater in Cambridge.

  1. Dispose of chemicals properly, such as using the Household Hazardous Waste depot at the landfill instead of pouring them down the drain.
  2. Follow the lawn watering restrictions in your community. More importantly, use a rain barrel and plant drought resistant vegetation. Don't worry about your lawn going dormant it will bounce back with the next rainfall.
  3. Limit the amount of fertilizer used on plants, the amount of salt on your driveway, and any other chemicals or materials that can easily move to the catch basin grate on your street and then into a wetland or nearby stream.
  4. Conserve tap water - it takes a lot of energy and expense to extract, treat and move your tap water to your house or workplace. Check toilets and faucets regularly for slow leaks and worn gaskets, use tree gator bags for watering trees, and consider irrigation systems from rain barrels for watering plants outside your home.