The City of Cambridge approves and issues permits for any planned work on the City Right of Ways. You must apply for a Highway Occupancy Permit to occupy:

  • City roadways
  • Shoulders
  • Sidewalks
  • Boulevards

A permit is needed for all work in, over, under, across or along a City Right of Way, including:

  • Excavating
  • Cutting or trenching
  • Installing or constructing infrastructure
  • Moving or relocating infrastructure
  • Removing infrastructure
  • Adjusting or altering infrastructure
  • Cleaning or maintaining infrastructure
  • Testing infrastructure
  • Repairing, replacing or improving infrastructure
  • Storing materials and/or bins (Permitted April 1st to October 31st)

How to apply for a permit

You must apply for a permit before any work can begin. Please allow:

  • 10 business days to process permits for full road closures
  • 5 business days to process permits for work requiring lane closures
  • 3 business days for work not requiring lane closures

Permit applications cost $200.00 +HST.

Complete the Application for Highway Occupancy Permit and fax it to (519) 740-7729. You can also email us your completed application.

Other permit requirements

Your permit application must also meet the following requirements: