The City of Cambridge collects development charges in accordance with the Development Charges Act and our Development Charges By-law. Development charges offset the capital costs required to support growth-related infrastructure.

City of Cambridge Development Charge Update 2019

The City’s Development Charge By-law 094-19 effective July 1, 2019. As part of the review of the development charges a summary is provided in the Development Charges Background Study and Addendum #1 and Addendum #2.

Who has to pay development charges?

Development charges apply to all lands in the city of Cambridge, except lands owned by and used for the purposes of the municipality, school board, hospital or farm related structures. Usually, you pay development charges for the City of Cambridge, the Region of Waterloo and our School Boards when you apply for a building permit.

View our Development Charges Brochure to learn more about development charges and exemptions.

Breakdown of charges

The City of Cambridge publishes a breakdown of current development charges every December. View our current summary of charges.

Interest charges

Under sections 26.1 and 26.2 of the Development Charges Act, the City may charge interest on certain types of developments. The City’s Development Charge Interest Policy A09 FIN 003 establishes the rules and procedures for the City’s charging of interest on Development Charges.

Regional development charges

The Region of Waterloo issues regional development charges for development in the City of Cambridge. For information about Regional development charges, call 519-575-4421. Regional development charges have been updated and effective August 1, 2019.

School board development charges

For information about school board development charges, contact the following Boards in the Region of Waterloo: