Accessory structures are most often sheds or garages and are not attached to a dwelling. The Zoning By-law requires specific setback and height limitations for these structures and a Building Permit is often required. The Building Permit Package for Accessory Structures includes more information about applying for a building permit for detached accessory structures (sheds and garages) that are not used as a residential dwelling unit.   

The zoning by-law also allows for additional residential units (ARU's), sometimes referred to as tiny homes, in detached accessory structures in some residential zones. The ARU would need to be constructed in compliance with the requirements of the Ontario Building Code in addition to meeting the zoning provisions. See the Additional Residential Unit Guideline for information. 

Temporary structures, such as tents, may also require a special permit. View our Special Events Manual for more information about temporary structure permit applications.