The City of Cambridge promotes a sustainable environment through conservation efforts, such as climate protection and Greenhouse Gas (GHG) reduction plans, as well as dedication to our urban forest and natural areas.
Cambridge City Green
Cambridge City Green is a group of volunteers who encourage and coordinate community projects that benefit our local environment. The group leverages the enthusiasm and effort of thousands of volunteers and over a hundred groups in the city each year. The group promotes individual lifestyle changes for a greener community. Cambridge City Green is also a subcommittee of the Cambridge Environmental Advisory Committee (CEAC).
Projects led by Cambridge City Green volunteers include:
- Cambridge Stewardship planting project
- Cambridge Community Clean Up
- Hosting annual events, such as the City Green Movie Nights and City Green Workshops
Email us to find out how you can help Cambridge City Green.
Learn more about Cambridge City Green events.
Cambridge Stewardship project
The Cambridge Stewardship project started in 2007. To date, the project has:
- Planted more than 10,000 native trees, shrubs and wildflowers
- Established more than 150 native species at 23 sites across the city
- Hosted more than 80 planting events, supported by more than 3,000 volunteers and 75 community groups
Community partners contribute $3 for every $1 the City contributes to the Cambridge Stewardship project.
Cambridge City Green thanks the following groups for their financial support of this project:
- City of Cambridge
- Cambridge and North Dumfries Community Foundation
- Frito Lay Canada (Pepsico)
- TD Friends of the Environment Foundation
- Tree Canada Foundation
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Community Fisheries and Wildlife Involvement Program
- Region of Waterloo Community Environmental Fund
Cambridge Environmental Advisory Committee
The Cambridge Environmental Advisory Committee (CEAC) advises Council on ways to protect, maintain and enhance the natural environment.
Learn more about Cambridge's boards and committees.