Awards and Bursaries
Twice per year the City of Cambridge recognizes the athletic achievement of residents of the City. Following is the Athletic Achievement Guidelines for receiving this recognition.
Athletic Achievement Guidelines
- Any citizen or team that has won 1st, 2nd or 3rd national or international event that was sanctioned by a governing body
- Any citizen or team that has won 1st, 2nd or 3rd in a provincial event sanctioned by a governing body
- Any citizen that has been named to any Canadian Olympic team
- Any citizen that has been named to any Canadian National or Provincial team
Athletic Achievement Recognition Form - Individual
Athletic Achievement Recognition Form - Team
For more information please contact (519) 740-4681 EXT. 4652 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARTHUR WHITE SPORTS BURSARIES
The Arthur White Sports Bursary Funds Committee administers the disbursement of funds for the Arthur White, Scott-Thompson and Can-Amera Bursary Funds.
History of the Arthur White Sports Bursary Fund
The fund was named in honour of Mr. Arthur White and was initiated in response to the financial needs of many of the athletes that represent our community in events outside the region, including provincial, national and international competitions.
Arthur White served his community in many ways from Alderman and Mayor of the City of Galt to Member of Parliament. He was also heavily involved in the development of amateur sports in Cambridge.
In honour of this outstanding citizen, the Arthur White Sports Bursary Fund has, since 1973, continues to assist and recognize the efforts and achievements of Cambridge's finest athletes.
Purpose of Fund
The purpose of the Arthur White Sports Bursary Fund is to provide financial assistance to deserving and qualified persons according to the terms of reference of the fund.
The fund provides financial assistance to athletes who are:
a) residents of the City of Cambridge
b) a registered member of a relevant athletic group in the City of Cambridge
c) any team or athletic group representing the City of Cambridge at the Provincial, National, or International level of competition and who, at the discretion of the Trustees, is deserving of financial assistance.
History and Purpose of Scott-Thompson Fund
An original donation was given in 1966-67 to the City of Galt to set up a fund to be named after two former Mayors of the City of Galt, Mr. F. Stewart Scott (1912-1913) and Dr. Adam Thompson (1906-1907), to assist athletes of exceptional ability who are deemed to have the potential to be Canadian or International Champions. The anonymous donor, now deceased, is thought to be Mr. Joseph Stauffer - a very generous native of Galt (now Cambridge).
Applications may be made to the Bursary Fund at any time throughout the year. Applications may e submitted prior to the event but may not be considered until after the event and must have relevant receipts attached. Funds will be withheld until the competition is completed and confirmation of participation is received. Masters events will not be considered. For a copy of the application form click here ARTHUR WHITE APPLICATION FORM
History and Purpose of the Can-Amera Bursary Fund:
When the Can-Amera Games ended in February 2007, the Cambridge Can-Amera Committee decided to leave a lasting legacy of the Games by establishing a bursary fund to assist local athletes. The intent of this bursary is to assist Cambridge high school athletes who require financial assistance to play on high school sports teams.
For more information on how to access the Can-Amera Bursary please contact your high school guidance office, Phys. Ed department, or Nicole Cichello at (519) 740-4681 ext. 4652, or by email email@example.com
BERNICE ADAMS AWARD
Cultural Awards Committee
The Cultural Awards Committee administers the distribution of awards and expenses of the Bernice Adams Memorial Fund for scholarships and bursaries to deserving, qualified persons to assist in furthering their development in the fields of arts and culture. The Committee also sponsors the Annual Bernice Adams Memorial Awards, to honour the achievements of individuals and groups in Cambridge in the following categories: Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Music, Communications/Literary Arts, and Outstanding Youth. When appropriate, a Special Trustees Award is presented to an individual or group.
Bernice Adams Memorial Awards Criteria
Recognition is provided to individuals/groups who, for a minimum of 3 years prior to the awards event, have been:
- a resident of Cambridge or,
- employed in Cambridge or,
- an associate member or student of a relevant group/school in the City of Cambridge
The award recipients will have made a significant contribution in or for Cambridge, in at least two of the following areas within their category:
- in the field of education, related to the category;
- used their talents as a volunteer for the benefit of others in the community;
- created personally or as a leader of a group work that has received acclaim, locally, provincially, or nationally;
- is responsible for major improvement or development related to the category
Contributions may be made in the past year or over a number of years. The awards are presented annually in May.
Congratulations to all of the Bernice Adams Memorial Awards Winners
The 2014 winners are:
- Literary Arts/Communications –Joe Lethbridge
- Music – Les Kadar
- Outstanding Youth –Piper Distel
- Performing Arts – Everett Smith
- Visual Arts – Jennifer Depencier
- Jeanette Chippindale - Special Trustee
Bernice Adams Memorial Awards Nomination Form
Bernice Adams Memorial Awards Guideline Info.
Bernice Adams Memorial Awards Bursary Form
Bernice Adams Memorial Awards Hall of Fame
BILL STRUCK MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
The Bill Struck Memorial Scholarship Fund was developed in memory of Councillor Bill Struck to honour his service to the community of Cambridge and his support of youth. Bill contributed to the community in a positive manner by youth to further their education. The scholarship was created in response to the many youth that are unable to access post secondary education due to financial restraints.
Bill Struck Memorial Scholarship Application
For more information please contact 519.740.4681 ext 4369 or firstname.lastname@example.org
CAMBRIDGE SPORTS AWARDS/BANQUET
Awards for Athlete of the Year, Team of the Year, Sport Contributor, High School Team of the Year and Sports Organization of the Year presented at the annual awards banquet which is held on the first Friday in November.
High School Team of the Year
Athlete/Team of the Year
For more information please contact 519.740.4681 Ext. 4652 or email@example.com
CAMBRIDGE SPORTS HALL OF FAME
MAYOR'S AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE
This award is presented in honour of excellence in workforce training and development.
Learn more about the Mayor's Award for Excellence.
RECOGNITION OF ARTS AND CULTURAL ACHIEVEMENT
Awards will be presented once annually at a special celebration in November.
To be eligible for Arts and Cultural Recognition, individuals or groups, must be either:
- A resident of the City of Cambridge; or
- An associated member, employee, or student of a relevant artistic or cultural group or school in the City of Cambridge
There are many outstanding artists in Cambridge. We are asking for your assistance to ensure that all deserving citizens receive Council recognition.
Deadline - if you know of an individual or artistic group who deserves recognition please contact 519.740.4681 ext. 4565 prior to August 31, 2014.
Individuals - Plaque, Outstanding Artistic/Cultural Achievement
- Any citizen that has won, placed second, or third in a provincial, national, or international competition, sanctioned by a governing body for their art
- Any citizen that has been recognized for their art through national, or international acclaim or, acceptance into an accredited national school
Individuals - Certificate, Recognition of Achievement
- Any citizen that has won, placed second, or third in a regional competition, sanctioned by a governing body for their art
Groups - Plaque, Outstanding Artistic/Cultural Achievement
- Any group that has won, placed second, or third in a provincial, national, or international competition, sanctioned by a governing body for their art
Groups - Certificate, Recognition of Achievement
- Any group of that has won, placed second, or third in a regional competition, sanctioned by a governing body for their art
Arts and Cultural Achievement Recognition Form - Group
Arts and Cultural Achievement Recognition Form - Individual
For more information please contact (519) 740-4681 ext 4565 or firstname.lastname@example.org
|Arts and Cultural Recognition - Group artist - 2014||2014 application form for Arts and Cultural recognition for a group.||2014-05-07||PDF 587Kb|
|Arts and Cultural Recognition - Individual Artist - 2014||Arts and Cultural Recognition form for Individual Artist - 2014||2014-05-07||PDF 598Kb|
|Municipal Grants - Grants to Groups Policy||Document outlining the criteria for application to the 'Grants to Groups' program in Cambridge.||2013-10-31||PDF 104Kb|