City Departments

Marriage/City Hall Wedding Requirements

Prior to a marriage licence being issued in the Province of Ontario, couples should be aware that a marriage must be solemnized under the authority of a marriage licence or the publication of banns.

Marriage Licence Application

Couples wishing to be married in Ontario must complete a marriage licence application form, signed by both parties to the marriage. The application form must be submitted, with the appropriate identification (see below), in person by one or both of the parties to the Office of the City Clerk at Cambridge City Hall, 2nd Floor, 50 Dickson Street.

Provided that the information is complete and correct, the licence will be issued on the same day, and is valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance.

To obtain a Marriage Licence Application form you can come to the Clerk's Division at Cambridge City Hall, 2nd Floor, 50 Dickson Street or download the Marriage Licence Application Form and return to Clerk's Division at Cambridge City Hall.

Licence Fee

The fee for a marriage licence at the City of Cambridge is currently $150.00 payable by cash, VISA, MasterCard or debit card (personal cheques are not accepted).

Business Hours

Monday to Friday - 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (except statutory and other holidays). An appointment is not required.


Two pieces of identification are required for both parties when applying for a marriage licence, and must include birth identity and picture I.D., with the completed application form.

Proof of Birth Identity - must be original documents & not photocopies

  • Birth Certificate
  • Change of Name Certificate
  • Record of Immigrant Landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Current Passport

along with photo identification.

Ontario Health Cards and social insurance number (SIN) cards are not acceptable forms of identification to obtain a marriage licence.


No person under 16 years of age may be married. An applicant who is 16 or 17 years of age is required to have both parents or guardian fill out a form at the Clerk's office at the time of applying for the marriage licence giving their written consent.

Divorce within Canada

If either party's previous marriage ended in Divorce, the original copy or a certified true copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be submitted to the Issuer of Marriage Licences. A Divorce Judgement or Decree Nisi is not acceptable. Certified true copies can be obtained from the court which granted the divorce. Photocopies are not accepted.

Divorce outside of Canada

If either party's previous marriage ended in Divorce outside of Canada, authorization from the Registrar General is required before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants, or a lawyer representing them, must submit the following to: The Office of the Registrar General, P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8

  • A completed marriage application form, signed by both applicants

  • A certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce or Annulment from the jurisdiction where the divorce was granted sealed by the court. If the divorce is in another language, include a certified translation

  • A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorcee, signed by both applicants (available from City Clerk's Office)

  • A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized by the Province of Ontario.

Widow or Widower

If either party to the proposed marriage is a widow or widower they are not required to produce a death certificate to obtain a marriage licence.

Marriage Ceremony

It is your responsibility to arrange the marriage ceremony of your choice.
For information regarding City Hall Weddings see below.

Publication of Banns

A marriage may be solemnized under the authority of the publication of banns where both parties to the proposed marriage worship regularly at their own Church in Canada.

For further information regarding the publication of banns please contact a member of the clergy.

City Hall Weddings

City Hall Weddings are held on Friday afternoons, between the hours of Noon and 4:30 p.m., in the Council Chambers, 3rd Floor, Historic City Hall, 46 Dickson Street, (subject to change).

Civic Marriage Services are performed by "Weddings by Don", and services can be booked on line with Visa or Mastercard. If you wish to pay by debit or cash this is done through the Clerk's Office at 50 Dickson Street, 2nd floor. Please note costs below:

Cost of Marriage Service:

The cost of the marriage service is $275.75, plus HST. (and a $1.00 service charge if booking on line)total cost $292.25

Wedding Booking Online

Two witnesses are required at the ceremony. There is seating for up to 100 guests. Smoking is not permitted in the Civic Square. Please ask at the "Reception Desk" for directions to the designated smoking areas.

Contact Information

Office of the City Clerk
City of Cambridge
50 Dickson Street
2nd Floor
P.O. Box 669
Cambridge, ON
N1R 5W8

(519) 740-4680 extension 4234

Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, ON
P7B 6L8

Toll Free (800) 461-2156 or
Toronto (416) 325-8305